NWICA can provide assistance with utility bills through several different programs in Lake, Porter, Jasper, and Newton Counties.
Energy Assistance Program - EAP
The Energy Assistance Program can help low-income households with a one time payment towards their energy bills.
Who Is Eligible?
• Utility Customers
• Renter or Homeowner
• Household Annual Income at or below 150% of poverty
Click here to view current Energy Assistance Program Income Limits.
How Do I Apply?
You will need to provide these documents:
• Social Security Cards for all household members
• Proof of Income for past 12 months
• Current Utility Bills
• Copy of lease for all renters
• Landlord Affidavit
A past due bill or disconnection notice is not required.
Assistance is available for natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, wood, and electricity.
Benefit amount is determined by:
• household size
• income (max.150% of Poverty)
• heating fuel type
• persons at risk (elderly, disabled,and children age 5 and under)
• type of dwelling
Note: Deposits and Reconnection fees are NOT payable under this program.
If you would like to learn more about these services and find out if you qualify, contact NWICA 2-1-1 or Information and Assistance at 1-800-826-7871.