Northwest Indiana Community Action Corporation

Help for Seniors
Help for Families
Information and Assistance
Calendar of Events
Links and Resources
About Us
Contact Us
For Service Providers

News & Announcements

May 4, 2010
CONTACT: Jane Hopkins 219-794-1829 cell 219-863-4473


Only Days Remain for Help with Winter Utilities.

Crown Point – Assistance funds are still available to help low-income households pay for heating costs, but the program will close on Friday, May 14. 
“There are thousands of eligible families in Northwest Indiana missing out on a $300 or $400 in utility grants,” said Jane Hopkins, Community Services Director at Northwest Indiana Community Action (NWICA), which administers the program in Lake, Porter, Newton, and Jasper counties.  “Even though the region has enjoyed some of the lowest heating costs in years this past winter, families are still struggling to make ends meet in this economic landscape.  No one should pass on this opportunity if they qualify for Energy Assistance.”
Indiana’s Energy Assistance Program runs October 1 through May 15.  Those who received assistance last fall cannot get another grant.  But NWICA says that applications are down 17% from last year. “We have served 4,500 fewer households this year,” Hopkins said.  “We have a large number of fixed-income seniors and high jobless levels in our communities.  I believe that many more people who have not yet applied could be getting this money.” 
 Energy Assistance Program assists low-income households with the cost of heating their homes by paying grants for their utility bills. Eligible households must be at or below 150% of Federal Poverty Level.  It does not require a large bill or a disconnection to qualify for assistance. Applications may be made at intake sites in the four counties.  For more information call 2-1-1 or 219-794-1829

Following are the Poverty Guidelines for determining eligibility for the 2009-2010 Energy Assistance Program.




















Each Additional Member

 Add 468

Add 5,610

Listed below are the documents needed to apply for Energy Assistance:

  • Proof of income for the 12-month period prior to the date of application for all household members 18 and over
  • Social Security cards for the all household members
  • Birth Certificates or other proof of citizenship or resident status for all household members
  • A utility bill (current, past due or disconnected)

Energy Assistance Intake Sites for Northwest Indiana Community Action:

  • Gary Neighborhood Services    219-883-0431           
    300 W. 21st Avenue     Gary, IN 46407
  • Metro Corps of Gary, Inc           219-886-3155         
    839 Broadway  Gary, IN 46402
  • United Neighborhood Organizations -M.L. King Center       219 378-9810  
    4802 Melville Ave    East Chicago, IN 46312       
  • United Neighborhood Organizations -Bessie Owens Center    219 391-8478     
    4001 Alexander Ave.    East Chicago, IN 46312
  • Love Center              219-938-8085               
    4619 Melton Road (US20)   Gary, IN 46403
  • Lake Station Center     219-963-0261            
    275 E. 29th Avenue   Lake Station, IN 46405
  • Greater Hammond Community Services   219-932-4800     
    824 Hoffman    Hammond, IN 46320
  • Porter County Community Services   219-464-9736 
    1005 Campbell St.   Valparaiso, IN 46385
  • Ross Township Trustee Office   219-769-2111          
    24 West 73rd Ave    Merrillville, IN 46410
  • South Lake County Community Services, Inc.   219-663-0627
    1450 E. Joliet Suite 202 Crown Point, IN 46307
  • Newton County Community Services, Inc.  219-285-2246
    4117 S. 240 W. Suite 100 Morocco, IN 47963
  • Jasper County Community Services   219-866-8071 
    967 E. Leopold St.  Rensselaer, IN 47978

For more information contact:
1-219-794-1829 or dial 2-1-1

Home | Seniors | Families | Information | Events | Resources | About | Contact | Service Providers |
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Northwest Community Action Corporation (NWICA) | 5240 Fountain Drive, Crown Point, Indiana 46307
Main Office: 219.794.1829 | Toll-free: 800.826.7871 | TTY: 888.814.7597